In the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People, the Catholic bishops of the United States, address their commitment to working with children and youth, parents, educators, civil authorities, and various organizations in the protection of children and youth in our care.
In response to our call to accountability the Archdiocese of New Orleans provides training for children, clergy, religious, and laity (employees and volunteers) in the prevention of and recognitions of child abuse.
The Safe Environment Coordinator is a resource person for the Archdiocese at the disposal of parishes, schools, and organizations in the area of child abuse and the prevention of abuse. The coordinator works with all archdiocesan entities to assure compliance to the Charter.
Safe Environment CoordinatorSr. Mary Ellen Wheelahan, O. Carm.
Archdiocese of New Orleans7887 Walmsley Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70125(504)861-6278
Policies of the Archdiocese of New Orleans:
We are committed to protecting our children and youth in the Archdiocese of New Orleans.
Any employee or volunteer who has ongoing, unsupervised contact with minors – or anyone who attends an overnight event with minors – must complete the following steps:
- Attend Safe Environment training. The calendar is below. Choose the date that works for you. No pre-registration or phone calls are necessary. Just show up and sign in with your name and the name of your parish/school when you arrive. Please be sure to check the calendar the day of the training – changes will be reflected there.
- Background check. This is handled through your parish or school. Contact the appropriate staff member.
- Contact your parish/school for information regarding Austin Computing.
Safe Environment training and background check must be repeated every three years. Thank you!
Austin Computing Instructions for Applicants:
- Check with your parish/school before registering on Austin Computing.
- All sections of the form must be completed in order for a background check to be run through the parish/school.
- Austin Computing Log-in: https://www.eappsdb.com/no
Praesidium Training Grades K - 5
Praesidium Training Grades 7 - 12
Praesidium Healthy Boundaries in Peer Relationships
Praesidium Healty Boundaries in Dating Relationships
Praesidium Healthy Boundaries in Electronic Communications
Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services toll-free number
for anyone in the state to call and report child abuse or neglect.
One number, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to speak to a trained child welfare worker to report possible abuse and neglect.
A commercial promoting the Safe School Hotline in New Orleans for Crimestoppers GNO
Crimestoppers: Safe School Hotline Brochure
How Brains are Built: The Core Story of Brain Development
The 10 Commandments of Internet Behavior
Office of Louisiana Attorney General
Project Safe Childhood, U.S. Department of Justice
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Darkness to Light
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
Kids Health/Internet Safety (also in Spanish)
AT&T Safety Games
Child Lures Prevention
National Federation of Catholic Youth Ministers
Summary of Adult Training Information: