Office of Racial Harmony
School & Parish Liaison
The Office of Racial Harmony for the Archdiocese of New Orleans is looking for a School & Parish Liaison who will consult, coordinate and facilitate the fulfillment of the Archdiocese’s vision and commitment to implement Priority 5 of the 9th General Synod. Reporting to the Vicar General’s office, the School & Parish Liaison of Racial Harmony will facilitate social justice and racial harmony in the parishes of the Archdiocese through engagement via workshops, orientations, and community initiative.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Work with the Archdiocesan Racial Harmony Implementation Committee to accomplish the Priority 5 goals of the 9th General Synod, and schedule and facilitate committee meetings as needed;
- Schedule and facilitate “Introducing Racial Sobriety” workshops; arrange for training and certification of Racial Sobriety facilitators;
- Provide racial sobriety workshops for the candidates for the diaconate prior to ordination;
- Schedule and facilitate discussions based on Made in the Image and Likeness of God: A Pastoral Letter on Racial Harmony (series of 4 nights);
- Offer orientation to and schedule volunteer facilitators for racial sobriety discussion series;
- Collaborate with the PPW Planning Committee, attending monthly meeting, scheduling and working with host parishes to plan walks;
- Serve on Ecumenical and Interfaith Commission;
- Collaborate with other Archdiocesan offices and agencies, including but not limited to the Vicar General’s office, Office of Black Catholic Ministries, the Hispanic Apostolate, Office of Religious Education, Office of Catholic Schools, and Asian leadership;
- Maintain a contact database, regularly communicating upcoming events;
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities required:
- Take or have taken some type of race relations training
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Strong relational skills with the ability to build bridges, establish and strengthen alliances, and bring about reconciliation.
- Academic preparation and personal experience in human relations, particularly in the history, sociology and psychology of racism.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Ability to do strategic planning toward the implementation of a vision of racial harmony.
Please submit your cover letter, resume' and references to email@example.com by October 17, 2017.
Please use “Racial Harmony-Your Name” in the subject line.
To submit by mail: Archdiocese of New Orleans
Vicar General, ATTN: Racial Harmony
7887 Walmsley Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70125